Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The update!

So far, alot has happened...

Since the last post I was looking at upgrading the suspension setup and selling the Work meisters, well since then.. Wheels have been sold and suspension setup is yet to be upgraded. Instead I decided to take a break and escape from melbourne for a couple of weeks... by taking a holiday in adelaide; it was great!

Though being encouraged by the drift scene in adelaide... the break was soon over and I found myself trapped in a splurge on the car, once again. In preperation for the next trip to adelaide (2 weeks after I had arrived back in melbourne), I focused on changing a few bits & pieces in the engine, particularly as a maintenance re-assurance.. During this splurge, the following was purchased:

- Splitfire Coilpacks
- Z32 AFM w/ Tomei plug
- Gizzmo EBC
- Oil Catch-Can w/ Braided Lines
- Blitz Sus Power pod filter
& the usual service gear..

After a weekends work, all was installed and the car was in excellent condition ready for Trent to work his magic for the tune..
and he did!!!

I was absolutely stoked with the result, 178rwkw was definately something I had to get use to after being use to driving around on 153rwkw at a max...


So once again, more spending went into the preperation for adelaide... Afterall, I did have the slight intention of entering at mallala, which lead me to get:

- Sabelt 4 point Harness
- Uras brake pads

Brake pads were not installed for the trip up but will be installed in the next month with new slotted rotors as a winning combination!
Well, yes.... Suppose this leaves us to the current status, which isn't looking so pretty. 10 minutes before I was about to head back to melbourne from adelaide, I came across what appeared to be an exhaust leak; an hour passing after going over the car thoroughly before heading off and Assuming the leak was the Manifold to Turbo gasket, I drove home thinking it was a simple gasket change required.

BUT! after arriving home safely... I got to work and pulled apart the manfiold and turbo from the block, to notice the turbo has completely dismantled itself from the housings. The turbo was missing 1 front bracket, 3 bolts that hold the bracket and two rear bolts that hold together the rear bracket of the housings, thus leaving the turbo held together by HALF a thread of ONE bolt and one bracket...



The end result is a completely shagged T28 turbo... the exhaust wheel had grinded and shimmed the internal housings of the turbo to a good 2 - 3mm, causing the exhaust wheel to seize and turbo to completely die a slow, yet painful death...

As for now the car sits on stands until funds clear for a new turbo... T28-RS this time round, bit more power... and in all honestly, I dont want to do this job again so i'm doing it properly!

I'll update once the new turbo has arrived & is installed with the new Tomei dump-pipe. Until then enjoy the photos i've added..

Cheers!



Anthony

No comments: